By Kelsey McElrath, Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company
Does spring give you a sudden urge to clean everything – including your jewelry? Before you reach for the toothpaste or chemical-laden jewelry cleaner, check out Jewelers Mutual Group’s do’s and don’ts to make sure your DIY cleaning isn’t causing potential risk to your treasured jewelry pieces.
- DO read the labels on jewelry cleaning supplies. Some chemicals in jewelry cleaner can be damaging to certain metals and gemstones.
- DO use warm water, mild dish soap and a soft bristle toothbrush to get in hard-to-reach areas.
- DO visit your jeweler at least once a year for a professional cleaning and inspection to restore the brilliance to your jewelry and ensure that it’s in good condition.
- DON’T clean your jewelry with toothpaste. The abrasives in toothpaste can scratch your stones and bands.
- DON’T clean your jewelry over the sink or anywhere there is an open drain.
The only thing better than knowing your jewelry sparkles is to know it’s protected!
Keep your jewelry safe no matter the season by protecting it with Jewelers Mutual’s jewelry insurance. Have peace of mind in knowing that your jewelry is covered against loss, theft, damaged and mysterious disappearance (or unexplained loss) wherever you go, worldwide.*
*Coverage is subject to underwriting review and approval, and to policy terms and conditions.